Skip to main content

Things I love and Hate about my iPhone 12. Thoughts from an Android user since 13 years


In this video, let’s talk about the pros and cons of the iPhone 12 & my experience of migrating from the Android platform to the apple’s iOS platform.


Timeline 

Comparison with Product(Red) of iPhone SE at 2:16

Pros at 2:55

Migration from Android experience at 5:31

Cons at 7:50


I have been an Android phone user all my life ever since the glory of the Symbian Nokia era was a thing of the past.

But ofcourse I have been using the iPad mini 2 ever since it was launched and became a fan of the iOS platform ever since. However I have never been a fan of the iPhone as such.

My first Android device was the Samsung Galaxy S3 which was a lovely phone with some great user experience provided by Samsung. Always felt that the screen size provided by Apple iPhone during those times to be too small to my liking.

With iPhone 6 I believe things changed for the iPhone in terms of the screen size. And when iPhone X was launched it made me sit up and take notice. However I had moved on to use several Android phones like the Samsung Galaxy S3, Sony Xperia Z1, Lenovo K5 Note (first 4G phone) and finally moved on to using the OnePlus family of phones starting from OnePlus 5T and then finally to OnePlus 7 Pro.


The OnePlus 7 Pro is a great phone with no notch design with a stunning 90 Hz refresh rate Super AMOLED display. I simply fell in love with the looks of the display the very first time I saw it in the OnePlus experience store in MG Road in Bangalore and made up my mind to buy it instantly.


After purchasing the iPad mini 2, my next Apple purchase was the MacBook Pro as my very first personal laptop purchase. I was always a Microsoft Windows desktop user and was never a fan of laptops for personal use.

Ofcourse I had the office provided Windows loaded laptops for office use.

My experience of using the Macbook Pro with the iPad was great as they work very well together in terms of sharing files over the iCloud, Airdrop and so on. This drove me towards purchasing my 3rd Apple product purchase which was the iPad Pro 2019 and then the Apple Pencil to go with it.

Finally I gave it to the temptation to buy my very first iPhone when Flipkart offered a huge discount on the iPhone SE 2020 edition of around 17K. Ofcourse this was bought for my daughter and I was waiting for the iPhone 12 to be announced.

Nevertheless, when it was launched I was happy to hear that the iPhone 12 model had finally been given a nice OLED display upgrade. The ugly notch and the lack of a 90/120 Hz display was dissapointing but nevertheless I had finally made up my mind to go ahead with the purchase of the iPhone 12 128 GB model.


On October 23rd, I went ahead and booked the iPhone 12 on reliancedigital.in . The delivery date was showing up as 27th October but with a disclaimer that the date is not applicable for for per-orders. I was expecting that the iPhone would arrive at my doorstep on the launch date which was Oct 30th. To my surprise I noticed that the order status was still sitting in order confirmed state on their website. Why would anyone wait for a product when it is readily available in stores on the launch day. I went ahead and cancelled the order through their customer care over phone. Though the phone order was cancelled, it finally arrived at my doorstep on 1st Nov and I had to return it.

Had to go through anxious 8 days for the money to get finally refunded to my source bank account from where the payment was made.


On 30th Oct I went ahead and bought the iPhone 12 from the imagine store who are a reputed Apple premium store in Bangalore from their store in VegaCity mall in BG road.


My experience with the iPhone tells me that it is the right integration with their own hardware and software which creates the magic and delivers such great performance in their phones even though their hardware specs are nowhere close to the flagship android devices of Samsung or OnePlus. Their UX design is top-notch leaving no stone unturned to provide the best possible user experience across the Apple devices. 

The seamless way the devices interoperable match no other company’s products.


Most people doing creative work with imaging and graphics do it on Mac and that’s the trigger point for them to enter the Apple ecosystem.

The devices interoperable so well to provide seamless interaction to benefit the user. For e.g if you own an iPhone iPad and MacBook and watch if you receive a call you can pick the call in any of these devices. The AirPods also auto switch seamlessly without any manual intervention. If you are wearing an Apple Watch you don’t need to type in your password to log into the MacBook! These are the subtle things which take the user experience to the next level.




Of course there are cons with the iPhone device as such as the lack of an in screen finger print scanner which is so essential in today’s times where one cannot rely on Face ID as you cannot uncover your full face in public due to the pandemic.

The notch is as wide as ever and iPhone user have to live with it. The refresh rate of the display is still 60Hz and for a flagship phone of such pricing should have got at-least a 90Hz display.


5g is non existent in India as yet so it’s obvious that it’s not being mentioned at all in Apple India’s website as a feature.

To the people who are saying that the iPhone is expensive in India, iPhone was never cheap in here. 


By the way this entire article was typed on the iPhone 12 and I enjoyed typing it on this phone ;) simply love the audio feedback and the haptic feel of the keyboard on the iPhone.


My migration experience while switching from the Android to the iOS was quite smooth as I was already an iOS user due to owning 2 iPads in the past. Only issue was with the WhatsApp backup which I worked around through an app called Windershare dr.fone. Do get in touch with me on my social handles if you need help or guidance in this regard.


My social handles at insta YouTube and Twitter - krmadhukar 

My FB page name is called Madhukar KR


Comments

Popular Posts

TechBytes on Linux

This is a growing list of Linux commands which might come handy for the newbies of Linux. 1. Found out i had to set the date like this:    # date -s 2007.04.08-22:46+0000 2. Mounting     sudo mount -t cifs // < pingable_host_or_ip > / < win_share_name > /build -o user= ,domain= ,uid=string,gid=string 3. To install linux packages from internet (ubuntu only)     apt-get install 4. To determine what ports the machine is currently listening on     netstat -an | grep -i listen | less 5. Find in files in Linux     find . | xargs grep 'string' -sl 6. To become superuser/root     sudo -i 7. To find a running process using name ps -aef | grep "searchstring" 8. Alt + F2 opens run window in RHEL 9. To access windows share from linux smb:// /d$ 10. To know the last reboot date & time $ last reboot | head -1 11. To install RPM packages in RHEL rpm -ivh 12. To un-install RPM package in RHEL rpm -e 13. To display Linux Kerne

How to change the default pdf viewer application in your Mac or MacBook

  To  set  a  PDF viewer  as the  default  on  Mac  OS X: Select any  PDF  file from Finder. Control-click to open the menu. ...  Choose Get Info from the menu that opens. ...  From the Open with: section in the new window that opens, select your preferred application, such as Adobe  Reader  or Preview. ...  Click the  Change  All button.

ಮ್ಯಾಕ್ ಬುಕ್ ಮತ್ತು ವಿನ್ಡೋಸ್ ಲ್ಯಾಪ್ ಟಾಪ್ ನಲ್ಲಿ ಎಲ್ಲ ಆಪ್ ಗಳಲ್ಲಿ ಕನ್ನಡ ಟೈಪ್ ಮಾಡುವುದು ಹೇಗೆ ?? How to type kannada on any app in Mac OS and Windows laptops

 ಮ್ಯಾಕ್ ಬುಕ್ ನಲ್ಲಿ ಕನ್ನಡ ದಲ್ಲಿ ಟೈಪ್ ಮಾಡಲು ಲಿಪಿಕ ಎನ್ನುವ ಈ ಕೆಳಗಿನ ಲಿಂಕ್ ಅನ್ನು ಕ್ಲಿಕ್ ಮಾಡಿ .pkg ಫೈಲ್ ಅನ್ನು ಡೌನ್ ಲೋಡ್ ಮಾಡಿ ಅದನ್ನು ಇನ್ಸ್ತಾಲ್ ಮಾಡಿಕೊಳ್ಳಿ. ಇನ್ಸ್ತಾಲ್ ಮಾಡಿದ ಮೇಲೆ ಅಪ್ಪ್  ಅನ್ನು ಒಪೆನ್ ಮಾಡಿ.    ಲಿಪಿಕಾ ಆಪ್    ಟಾಸ್ಕ್  ಬಾರ್ ನಲ್ಲಿ 'A' ಎನ್ನುವ ಐಕಾನ್ ಅನ್ನು ಕ್ಲಿಕ್ ಮಾಡಿ. ಲಿಪಿಕಾ ಐಮ್ಈ ಅನ್ನು ಕ್ಲಿಕ್ ಮಾಡಿ. ಕನ್ನಡ ಭಾಷೆಯನ್ನು ಆಯ್ಕೆ ಮಾಡಿ.  ಆ ನಂತರ ಯಾವುದೇ ಮ್ಯಾಕ್ OS ಆಪ್ ನಲ್ಲಿ ನೀವು  ಕನ್ನಡದಲ್ಲಿ ಟೈಪ್ ಮಾಡಬಹುದು.  ಕೇವಲ ಕ್ರೊಮ್ ವೆಬ್ ಬ್ರೌಸರ್ ನಲ್ಲಿ ನಿಮಗೆ ಕನ್ನಡ ಟೈಪ್ ಮಾಡಬೇಕಾದಲ್ಲಿ ಈ ಕೆಳಗಿನ ಲಿಂಕ್ ಅನ್ನು ಕ್ಲಿಕ್ ಮಾಡಿ  ಗೂಗಲ್ ಇನ್ಪುಟ್ ಮೆಥಡ್  (Google Input Method) ಗೂಗಲ್ ಕ್ರೊಮ್ ಎಕ್ಸ್ ಟೆನ್ಷನ್ ಅನ್ನು ಇನ್ಸ್ತಾಲ್ ಮಾಡಿಕೊಳ್ಳಿ. ಅದನ್ನು ಒಪೆನ್ ಮಾಡಿ ಕನ್ನಡ ಭಾಷೆ ಯನ್ನು ಆಡ್ ಮಾಡಿಕೊಳ್ಳಿ.  ವೆಬ್ ಬ್ರೌಸರ್ ನಲ್ಲಿ ನಿಮಗೆ ಕನ್ನಡ ಟೈಪ್ ಮಾಡಬೇಕಾದಲ್ಲಿ ಈ ನೀಲಿ ಕೀ ಬೋರ್ಡ್ ಐಕಾನ್ ಅನ್ನು ಬುಕ್ಮಾರ್ಕ್ ಬಾರ್ ನಲ್ಲಿ ಕ್ಲಿಕ್ ಮಾಡಿ ಕನ್ನಡ ಫೊನೆಟಿಕ್ ಆಪ್ಷನ್ ಅನ್ನು ಆಯ್ಕೆ ಮಾಡಿ.  ಕನ್ನಡ ಟೈಪಿಂಗ್ ಅನ್ನು ಮ್ಯಾಕ್ ಬುಕ್ ಮತ್ತು ವಿನ್ಡೋಸ್ ಲ್ಯಾಪ್ ಟಾಪ್ ಬ್ರೌಸರ್ ನಲ್ಲಿ ಆನಂದಿಸಿ.  ಮೈಕ್ರೊಸಾಫ್ಟ್  ವಿನ್ಡೋಸ್ ನಲ್ಲಿ ಯಾವ ಆಪ್ ನಲ್ಲಿ ಬೇಕಾದರೂ ಕನ್ನಡ ಟೈಪ್ ಮಾಡಲು ನಿಮಗೆ ಎರಡು ಆಯ್ಕೆ ಇವೆ: ೧. ಫೊನೆಟಿಕ್ ಕನ್ನಡ ಟೈಪ್ ಮಾಡಲು